Thursday, April 02, 2009

A Peabody (without the Mister)

Scan down the list of the 2008 Peabody Awards on their web site.

See anything interesting?


I am not familiar with the Peabody's, but I'm pretty sure there are very few animated series that have won this coveted award. I also notice that this award is being tended after Nickelodeon completed the series, and abandoned it to odd-hour fill-in programming and their subsidiary channel. They didn't spend a dime on merchandising for this show, preferring to rake in the Spongebob Squarebucks. They won't even spend the nickel it would cost to slap a little "Peabody Award Winner" on their existing DVD's.

I can pretty much assure you that Saturday Night Live, Breaking Bad and even YouTube will not keep their Peabodys silent. I think Nickelodeon might do one promo mentioning it, but nothing more.